Sandford Duncan Inn

   
5083 Nashville Rd.
Franklin, Kentucky 42134
http://www.kentuckytourism.com/sandford-duncan-inn/5278/

270-586-3040

Sandford Duncan Inn is a historic stagecoach stop, tavern and family home that was owned and operated by Sandford Duncan from about 1819 until his death in 1854.  Four stagecoaches stopped daily (2 north-bound and 2 south-bound). Notable people who visited this historical site included President Andrew Jackson, General Sam Houston, Singer Jenny Lind and Jeroboam Beauchamp.

 

Simpson County Archives and Old Jail Museum

   
206 North College St.
Franklin, Kentucky 42134
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyschs/

270-586-4228

 

Downing Museum at WKU

   
4801 Morgantown Road
Bowling Green, Kentucky 42101
http://www.wku.edu/downingmuseum/

270-842-7415

The Downing Museum is now open to the public! Officially opened in 2009 by appointment only as a part of The Baker Arboretum, the Downing Museum displays a vast collection of fine art by the late Joe Downing. The collection includes examples of his abstraction and experimentation with different media formats including leather, linen, canvas, old wood, metal, staples, and found objects.

Joe Downing was a world-renowned artist, WKU alumnus and brother of the late WKU President Dero Downing. A Horse Cave, Ky. native, Downing spent most of his life creating artwork in France with studios in Menerbes and Paris. Jerry Baker and Joe Downing were long-time personal friends who collaborated on the design of the Downing Museum.

Visitors to the museum are welcomed to gaze at the art while sitting on furniture by local artist Mark Whitley and then venture outside to enjoy the surrounding top two levels of the Arboretum.

 

Cave City History Center

   
418 Mammoth Cave Street
Cave City, Kentucky 42127
 

Heirloom Trail

   
Broadway and S. Dixie Highway
Cave City, Kentucky 42160
 

Old Soldiers Cemetary

   
2nd & Emberton Street
Tompkinsville, KY 42167

In 1861, during the Civil War, land was donated by J. B. Evans for burial of Union Soldiers. By the end of the war, it contained 115 troops who died in this region. Due to the small size of the cemetery, the government ordered most soldiers moved to Nashville National Cemetery in 1867. With five graves left, it became public and no longer a national cemetery. Still known as "The Old Soldiers Cemetery".

Located at the corner of Second and Emberton Streets, Tompkinsville.
Historical Marker Dedication on July 9, 2012.

 

Mount Vernon "Freetown" Church

   
1600 Fountain Run Rd.
Gamaliel, KY

270-457-2901

The Freetown log church was built in 1846 by the freed slave of William Howard.
There has been no replacement of original building material, except for the metal roof.
Tours by appointment only.

Also historically important in Gamaliel is the Gamaliel Cemetery. This cemetery has graves dating back to the 1800's. There are several graves with rock markers, which were placed before the days of tombstones.

For more information contact Gamaliel City Hall at 270-457-2901
 

Old Mulkey Meetinghouse State Historic Site

   
38 Old Mulkey Park Rd.
Tompkinsville, KY 42167
http://parks.ky.gov/parks/historicsites/old-mulkey/default.aspx

270-487-8481

One of the oldest churches west of the Alleghenies, this state historic site is located two miles south of Tompkinsville on Ky 1446. First available church records are dated 1798, but tradition claims the church was established much earlier. The park offers a peaceful setting for a journey into the past with the uniquely shaped rustic log building and pioneer graveyard where lie several Revolutionary War soldiers and Daniel Boone's younger sister, Hannah. Visitors will also find tranquil picnic areas and a gift shop featuring traditional art and crafts. In addition, a newly established "Quest" is ready to take for those with an adventursome spirit.
 

Old Mulkey Meeting House

   
38 Old Mulkey Park Rd.
Tompkinsville, KY 42167
http://parks.ky.gov/parks/historicsites/old-mulkey/default.aspx

270-487-8481

 

Octagon Hall Museum

   
6040 Bowling Green Rd.
(US 31-W)
Franklin, KY http://www.octagonhall.com

270-586-9343

Step back in time...Tour the 1847 Plantation that survived the Civil War.  This unique eightsided brick plantation home was used by both Union and Rebel forces. In addition to being a history museum and Confederate study archive, today it is the site of many ghost hunting and paranormal explorations.  During the month of October, the Octagon hall is transformed into a terrifying Halloween Haunted House with guided tours, intense scares, dressed up performers and walk through horror exhibits.

 

 

Get directions
      Show the options

From :  or 

To      :  or